My interest in Zentangle (R) started when I was looking at adult colouring books and decided I'd rather draw the pictures. My husband bought me a book about Zentangle inspired art for Christmas and my latest interest was born.

Saturday, 30 July 2016

Welcome to A Lap full of Cat

Today I feel like I've given birth to a new baby. I've been thinking about starting a new blog for some time to make it easier for me to share my creative side, connect with others and maybe also to be a vehicle for an occasional brain dump (I'll try not to do too much of that). I spent most of the day trying to think up a name, but none of them seemed right (Inside Out? Too much like the movie).   The name was born when I was sitting at the computer still trying and discarding names. Toby jumped onto the desk and insisted I move my chair out in typical cat fashion so he could sit on my lap and it hit me just like that. After all that's what happens whenever I sit down to do something.

Introducing my lap full of cat:

Toby in his favourite spot.

 Most of the focus of this blog will probably be on Zentangle (R) and zentangle inspired art, but I'm not sure, it's only new after all. I also enjoy photography and other crafts so some of those may sneak in from time to time. I will be adding some links for more information about zentangle when I find the time.   I have started participating in some of the online tangle challenges, and I like how they are challenging me to try new things. I have only been tangling since Christmas so it is great to see what others have done in response to the challenges too and get some inspiration.

 This one is my tangle in response to a string and using the tangle "pearly" posted on Joey's weekly challenge tangle #123 I saw a tangle by Margaret Bremner at Enthusiastic Artist while googling for inspiration which led me to try merging one tangle into the next. Pearly was a new tangle for me so trying something different already!

N'Zeppel, Hollibaugh, Pearly, printemps, tipple        
This one is my attempt at this week's Diva challenge - Running in circles. The idea for this one just popped into my head. Ennies is one of my favourite tangles which seemed appropriate for a circle challenge, and trying a monotangle was a nice contrast to the one above. I did make one mistake as I started but I overcame the obsessive part of my brain and continued with it rather than chucking it and starting again.

The challenge was to use circles as the string and maybe circle based tangles as well. Ennies is one of my favourite tangles so here is my interpretation. It's ended up looking rather like bubbles of frog spawn to me lol. Oh and I'm loving my phone camera more and more, just discovered the flash has a fill light setting.
Ennies

Welcome to my blog and thanks for stopping by to look at my work.

19 comments:

  1. Nice work, both of them.
    Pearly, drawn abough the other tangles gives a beautiful final touch on that tile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely tiles. I especially like your ennies tile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like both very much and a wonderful idea to honor your cat with the name of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, I'm glad you like the name.

      Delete
  5. Great new blog. Love the name too! You will find that you can actually start other blogs and link them across the top as tabs so people can come here and then jump over to see other interests you have. I have three blogs going on mine LOL! I like your round designs by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that's good to remember thanks for that idea Jean, and for your visit.

      Delete
  6. I really love your Diva piece. Your patterns really integrate nicely into each other. I love the name of your blog;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much Michele. I'm glad people are liking the name, it made my brain hurt coming up with it lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely work! I just started Tangles in the spring and like you I'm hooked, why colour in a book when you can create your own?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the colouring doesn't engage me like this does.

      Delete
  9. Love both of your pieces. Your Diva tile flows so beautifully and the one for Joey's challenge is so full of life that it's just plain fun! I love your blog name too, especially since I have a cat in my lap a big portion of the time too! But I have 3 of them that try to be the first on there and then the others just sit either on the table or the chairs to either side of me. (I use the kitchen table for my artwork)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought there'd be some others out there who'd identify with me. I currently have my lap to myself though because the heater is on.

      Delete

I love receiving comments, so thank you for taking the time to leave one. If you have a question I will try and reply as soon as I can.