My interest in Zentangle (R) started when I was looking at adult colouring books and decided I'd rather draw the pictures. My husband bought me a book about Zentangle inspired art for Christmas and my latest interest was born.

Thursday, 11 August 2016

A busy week

There seems to have been a lot going on for me this week in tangle land. I ordered and received my first pack of real Zentangle(R) tiles. They are quite a different surface from the paper I have been using but I feel like I actually have more control because they are more textured. I'm still getting the hang of shading on them though, and I'm not sure if I'm going to like them for zen gems, though I have to try a few more and see.

The next thing that happened was joining the "Travelling Tangles" group after being introduced to the concept by a fellow blogger. I'm yet to receive any of the swaps I've organised but I must say I haven't waited for the postie to arrive so excitedly for years. If you haven't come across this concept before, what it involves is beginning a tangle on a tile and then posting it off to someone else around the world to complete.

This is one of the tiles I've sent off, I think it went to a lady living in the USA from memory. This is an example of what happens when your husband comes home in the middle of you trying to draw a complex tangle. Not wanting to throw out one of my brand new tiles and mindful of the axiom that there is no such thing as a mistake in tangling, I persevered. I called it "Skye interrupted" though I could also have called it when Skye gets knotted lol.

Skye interrupted
I've had a play with some "Knightspeek / Knightstar" stringart type tangles too (from last weeks challenges), mainly with circles. I feel they work best as a setting for something I think, like the zengem in this example, or possible surrounding a different tangle?

Circular Knightspeek / Knightstar
 I think I'll leave the rest of the news for next week if I have space. On to the challenges for this week.


DC#279: "Duotangle Meer v's Auraknot"

Well this one was a challenge. I haven't been so keen on auraknot so have only used it once or twice but quite like meer. I looked up some links on how to do it and quite liked the cyme-like approach to auraknot, so started with that.

This was one of those tangles though where I went one step too far with colouring in some of the auraknot black, then spent ages trying to balance the shading out to make it look better. I used a 3B graphite for the shading but I think I could have done with a softer darker one.


As always, the other challenge was my "helper" (cough, cough). Everyone keeps admiring him so he's snuck into the post again lol.

Cat sandwich


Joey's weekly challenge tangle #125

Joey's challenge was the last of her circle strings and she challenged us to use Oof, a new tangle for me. I enjoyed this one very much, once I had the grid established the rest of the tangle just flowed and was very relaxing. Just goes to show you can't tell from looking at it, until you give it a try.

Anyway, here's the result. Oh I forgot to say earlier, my other new purchase for the week was a rust coloured pigma pen. I'm having fun trying a little bit of colour.


That's all for now, thanks for persisting to the end of what has become a rather long post. As always, I love reading your comments. Happy tangling!

15 comments:

  1. Very nice work Sue, all of them, a very funny but nice Skye interuption, a beautiful gem and a wonderful tile for the DIva.
    I like reading about the traveling tiles. I hope you will soon get one from Belgium and I am also excited to receive one from Australia!!! Have a nice weekend with a lot of tanglepleasure. I like your helper too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm obsessively checking my letter box Ria 😀

      Delete
  2. I may have to try OOf. In general, I tend to say I don't like grid tangles, only to find that they can be very satisfying when I do actually try them. I love your auraknot tile. again, if I'm not strict with myself, I get hung up about the initial shape for the knot and it takes the fun out of it. I like your organic, rather than geometric shaping of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I got the idea for the shape from Jeanne Kero - I'll post the link but not sue how well that will work from the comments.
      http://jeannekero.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/deconstructing-new-tangle.html

      Delete
  3. I love all of your work! Your style is so clean and elegant. I envy your steady hand. Your Diva challenge is especially wonderful. I love the leafy shapes and the detail within. I'm so glad you joined the Travelling Tangle fun;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele you're making me blush, thanks so much! It might have even been your blog that I read about the travelling tangles group on, after Ria introduced me to the concept.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful work ie colors and awesome Diva. I like it you made One side Meer en the other Side only straight lines Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your work Suse it gives me something to aim for as a newbie. Will I be struck off, indeed struck down for saying that I also am not very keen on the tiles? I had some sent to Spain from the States and the colour of the Rennaisance tile is glorious but the paper quality really disappointed me. Waiting for bolt of lightening to get me now lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Hilary. I'm a relative newbie too, I've only been tangling since Christmas. I think it's like any craft, you have to find the tools that suit you best. I have a collection of visual art diaries because it took me while to find the paper texture I preferred. I'm a bit the same with pens too, have definite likes and dislikes. I like the tiles for crispness of line, but don't really love them for shading / colour work. Waiting for my lightening bolt now too 😉

      Delete
  6. Very nice tiles again this week. I just love the idea of using Knightstar to surround a gem. Yours is gorgeous! I liked seeing your helper again too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean. I was really pleased with how this gem turned out!

      Delete
  7. Love all of your tiles this week. I would never have thought of using Knightstar to surround a gem, but it does sound like a good idea. Your gem is beautifully done too, I might add. Like you, I have helpers around me when I am at the table too. Great work and tell your "helper" hello from my 3 furbabies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your tiles, especially the Diva and the gem. Lovely!!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments, so thank you for taking the time to leave one. If you have a question I will try and reply as soon as I can.