My interest in Zentangle (R) started when I was looking at adult colouring books and decided I'd rather draw the pictures. My husband bought me a book about Zentangle inspired art for Christmas and my latest interest was born.

Thursday, 18 August 2016

Happy mail and other tangling

I hope everyone's had a lovely week. Mine has been a bit busy again with a lot happening. Last weekend was my oldest's 18th birthday dinner - it was a very quiet affair at his request but he had his best mate there, what more could you want? I spent a good chunk of last weekend baking and icing a birthday cake including experimenting with royal icing I think it's called. Anyway here's a pic of the cake. It turned out sort of how I imagined it, so I suppose that's good lol. Though I do wish I'd noticed that bit of a hole in the icing on the front corner before I threw the rest of the green out.

All the figures are from my son's collection.


Travelling Tangles

Last week I talked about joining the Travelling Tangles Project on Facebook. Well this week I've been excitedly waiting for the postie to arrive to see if I get any "happy mail" and letters have started coming.

Today I received this lovely tile to finish with a card from the lovely lady at Tangle Dreams and am equally excited and terrified of giving it a go! I hope I can do her beautiful start justice.


The very first card I received had an ordinary zentangle tile, one that had been marbled, a bijou tile and an ATC (artist's trading card). So far I have only been game to try the ATC but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I'm still struggling with shading on the genuine zentangle tiles though.


I did the hollibaugh / n'zeppel and my partner did the paradox.

Made by Joey #126

Last week was the end of the circle series and this week Joey started a series on finishing her tangle. This week's was a tile with one triangle of paradox. I don't know about you but I find with paradox that I can't do just one, and before I knew it I had filled up the card. It was another good lesson at getting used to the original tiles. I find I need to hold the pen more upright to get a consistently inked line but that the tiles do seem to help with my control. I was happier with the shading here too.


Diva Challenge #280

The Diva challenged us to produce a tile inspired by the Rio Olympics. I had my first experiment with using my old watercolour pencils on a tile earlier in the week, so decided to use them for this challenge.

There is a lot of symbolism in this tile. I used four tangles, three of which spell "RIO", being Reflections, Infinity and Opus. I don't know what the fourth one is called. The green and gold is for Australia (have to be patriotic during the olympics) and the mystery tangle and the infinity also have a wattle feel about them which is one of Australia's floral emblems. I also thought the mystery tangle and the opus had a bit of a fireworks feel about them which also seems appropriate for an olympics.

There are 5 gold circles for 5 olympic rings, and the infinity is symbolising connections between countries and cultures that are formed (I was thinking of that selfie by the North Korean and Southern Korean athletes while doing this).

If I was doing this again I'd use a bit less infinity, it ended up feeling a bit messy or crowded to me, though adding some more green to some of the streamers helped. Anyway it is what it is.


Anyway, that's all for this week. Thanks for dropping by to look at my work, I do love reading all your comments.

A Toby photo didn't make it in this week, I hope you don't miss him too much lol!

Happy tangling!

23 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a busy baking and tangling week. I really like the way your response to the Diva's Challenge turned out. The colors are very soothing. My response got a little overly frenetic. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great cake!!! And I love the Paradox tile as well as the Diva one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the paradox tiles, both of them. I don't use "real" Zentangle tiles very often either - I'm too mean and I make too many mistakes. Your cake is fabulous, I hope you all enjoyed it .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cake was yummy, new recipe so that's always a risk lol!

      Delete
  4. Lovely work Suse! That cake is fantastic;-) Great work on the challenges, I especially love the Diva piece-it sort of reminds me of the logo of the 3 looping figures. It's very fluid and elegant. Congrats on your first Travelling Tangle! It can be a little scary taking your pen to someone else's lovely start. Your ATC turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny you said that about the logo - when I saw some responses using it and looked back at my tile I could sort of see it in there as well. I really love the Rio Olympics logo.
      I have a few tiles I've been too scared to start yet lol.

      Delete
  5. I would like to have a piece of that cake, seems so good...
    I'm glad you like the way how I started the travelingtile and I'm sure you will finish it in a beautiful way. I'm also very happy with yours.
    Yhe Hollibaugh/N'Zepple/Paradox is a real beauty, I like it very much and also your Diva tile turned out very good. Also soothing colors can be nice and the composition is done very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your tile really inspired me Ria, I knew just what I wanted to do with it very quickly and really enjoyed doing it. I'll post the after next week :)

      Delete
  6. What fun, your tangles have such graceful movement and flow in their compositions! I am still a bit flummoxed with paradox; your paradox tile is so pretty with its shell like design:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill, what a lovely compliment.

      Delete
  7. Yummy! (the cake AND the tiles)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha yes the cake definitely was :)

      Delete
  8. Lovely tiles! And a yummy cake :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cake is fantastic and I'll bet it was yummy. I like all your tiles, especially all the work you put into doing such a thoughtful Olympic one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many to see here! Your cake looks fabulous and your tiles are beautiful. Travelling Tiles is a wonderful project, isn´t it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny cake ;-) I like your diva tile and the idea to use patterns that begin with RIO. Nice colours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had really a busy week. I love all your tiles ... yummy cake!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmmm cake! Lol! Oh your Rio tile is gorgeous, mine is way too colourful for my liking, great work all round then Suse x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmmmmmmmmmm ... Cake!!
    Love your tiles, as always. Gorgeous. Also love hearing about the traveling tiles. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traci are you on facebook? Come and join us - just search "travelling tangles project"

      Delete
  15. I'm not sure if you guys liked the cake or the tangles more this week LOL, but thank you all for taking the time to comment!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments, so thank you for taking the time to leave one. If you have a question I will try and reply as soon as I can.